Since it's summer and fresh produce is bountiful we wanted to prepare a meal that captured the freshness of our ingredients. With our minds fixed on lush, fresh produce we immediately decided to fix a Mediterranean themed meal.
Our starter was an easy, easy bean dip. We will even give you the recipe (courtesy of Epicurious.com).
Balsamic Bean Dip with Fresh Veggies
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar plus extra for drizzling
- Oil from jar of roasted red peppers
- Assorted crudités (we used bell peppers and carrots)
- Pita bread, cut into wedges
For the main course we ventured into a new realm for BIV - a savory pie. We made a Mediterranean Vegetable Cheese Pie flavored with spinach, onion and dill.
And as so often happens on BIV, the dessert was the star. And this desert, as with the entire meal, was simple and easy.